Why choose laminate flooring?
Laminate flooring closely mimics the look and feel of genuine hardwood flooring. However, it’s actually a layered product that’s more budget-friendly for busy families and business owners alike.
For one, laminate is more moisture-resistant than hardwood, with a protective top layer designed to resist scratching and damage from impact. Laminate is made in styles that imitate the look of practically any hardwood species, available with any surface texture finish you can imagine. Laminate is also much easier to install than natural hardwood, thanks to its simple locking edges.
LAMINATE VS. HARDWOOD
Laminate vs. Hardwood
While laminate flooring and hardwood flooring share many similarities, there are a few main ways in which they differ. Solid hardwood flooring is:
- Made from a single plank of genuine wood
- More difficult to install
- Lasts longer, as it can be refinished or restored
- Available in many different species with unique characteristics
Laminate flooring, however, is:
- Made up of multiple layers of wood composite with a photographic image layer on top
- Very easy to install due to locking edges
- Does not last as long and cannot be refinished
- More budget-friendly
Need some inspiration before shopping for laminate flooring? No problem! Take a look at our laminate inspiration gallery to see the latest trends, styles, and more.
While laminate is simple enough to install for an experienced DIYer, we still recommend having a professional team handle the job. Learn more about the laminate installation process at Lockwood’s Carpets.
Although laminate is durable and easy to care for, there are some things to keep in mind if you want to keep it looking its best for many years to come.